This week brought snow to every mainland state except Florida. ‘Tis the season for boots, mittens, mugs of hot chocolate, and hearty vegetable stews.
This recipe combines seasonal root vegetables with cinnamon, cumin, and paprika with a splash of sweet coconut milk at the end. The list of ingredients may seem long, but the soup couldn’t be simpler or more satisfying.
What keeps you warm during the winter months?
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups worth)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut milk to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large stock pot. Add onions and sauté until soft. Add spices and cook for another minute.
- Stir in squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans and bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and add about 2 tablespoons coconut milk to each.