We know you love planning the wedding, but as huge travel buffs, we can let you in on a little secret – planning the honeymoon is just as fun! Italy is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations, especially for those of you planning spring and summer weddings, and today we are excited to share some of our favorite honeymoon spots in Italy with you—along with a few helpful travel and jewelry protection tips—in partnership with Perfect Circle™ Jewelry Insurance by Jewelers Mutual.
Whether you love fun in the sun, want to be at one with history, or just want to eat amazing food and shop ‘til you drop, you’ll find a perfect city to visit in one of our favorite countries to visit!
The City of Bridges is truly a sight to behold, and one of the most romantic places on Earth! In addition to visiting the spectacular St. Mark’s and being serenaded by a gondolier, be sure to pop in to Harry’s Bar to sip on the original Bellini. And while you are losing your way in the tiny side streets, try to find the Osteria Alla Staffa on Castello calle Ospedale – the ever-changing menu is sure to please!
Pay a few euro to spend awhile cruising down the Grand Canal on Venice’s public transportation – the vaporetto (Grand Canal is vaporetto number 1). Or, pick up number 12 to spend an afternoon in nearby Murano, the nearby island famous for its blown glass artwork.
Vegas’ Bellagio has nothing on one of the true gems of Italy, the Lake Como region, which features its namesake village. With its charming towns and luxurious hotels, Lake Como is an unforgettable place to visit! For a panoramic view over the lake, stay at the stately Grand Hotel Tremezzo, the perfect home base to bask in the Italian sun and catch the ferries to the dozens of small towns and villages dotting Lago di Como.
Ah, Rome. The cradle of civilization! Here you will find the big must-see attractions of The Colosseum, St Peter’s Basilica, and the Vatican Museums. You’ll also throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain and of course, indulge in some gelato. Grab your gelato at Giolitti, near the Pantheon on Via Uffici del Vicario. Open since 1900, it’s the ideal spot to experience our favorite treat.
For a slice of local flavor and to find that perfect little enclave serving amazing lasagna, stroll through the Trastevere neighborhood. Beautiful winding streets await!
Rome is notorious for pickpockets, so be very careful when out and about! A money belt is a wonderful idea, and keep a close eye on all of your valuable wearables. A recent survey conducted by Jewelers Mutual found that over one-quarter of people surveyed had lost of a piece of jewelry while vacationing. Of course, this is where Perfect Circle™ can help, as they expertly insure your personal jewelry against loss, damage, theft and disappearance wherever your travels take you!
More to Love
Rome, Venice, and Lake Como are just three of the amazing destinations that await you in Italy! Florence, the rebuilding Cinque Terre, Bologna, Pisa, Torino, Palermo, the Amalfi Coast… the list goes on and on and each city has its own charm.
Pack Right and Prepare
Ever arrived at your destination only to realize you’ve forgotten your eyeglasses, shampoo, or that perfect little black dress? Can you imagine returning home just to realize you’ve lost that beautiful necklace from your aunt or valuable heirloom from your mother-in-law? Here are a few packing tips we have picked up along the way, along with some helpful advice about protecting your jewelry while traveling from Perfect Circle™:
- Choose wisely. Pack light and take only the jewelry you’ll wear while traveling and at your destination. Always store valuable items in the in-room safe.
- Make a list! We won’t name names, but a few of us on the EAD team are not natural list-makers. After leaving one too many telephone chargers at home, though, we learned our lesson! Make a list, both of the items you will forget and the valuable items and jewelry you will be bringing, and take pictures of your jewelry. Email yourself a copy of the list, just in case. Check your hotel room against the list before you check out, make sure you don’t leave anything behind in the hotel safe, or plugged into the wall.
- Make an electronic copy of your passports (and visa page, if applicable), password-protect the file (with a random 12-digit password of course!), and email to yourself and your emergency contact. Also print and bring two copies of your passports with you. One copy for the hotel records – so you don’t have to relinquish your passport to them at check-in – and another copy for emergencies.
- Call your cell phone company to insure that you have correctly set your phone up for international travel. We like to leave the ability to send/receive texts on (as they can be relatively inexpensive!), but block data usage.
- Print and bring copies of your flight itinerary, hotel information (including the address in both English and destination language-especially important when visiting countries such as China and Russia), and train/subway maps.
- Call customer service for each credit card you plan to use to notify them of your international travel. Include any countries where you will have flight layovers in your travel notification. Don’t forget to do this for your ATM card as well, as ATMs are by far the easiest way to grab local currency in most destinations!
- If you are arriving at your hotel before check-in time, be sure that all valuable items are in your purse or the hand-baggage that you will carry with you until check-in. Take extra care when wearing jewelry by slipping pendants inside your sweater or turning your ring so only the band shows. Never store important items in the hotel luggage room! And of course, when flying, never put valuables in your checked luggage.
We hope you are now itching to visit Italy, and that you have gotten some helpful info about protecting your jewelry and prepping for vacation while we were at it. Ciao!
*This post was sponsored by Perfect Circle™ by Jewelers Mutual.